Monday, April 13, 2009
•one loaf french bread cut into 1-inch slices or challah bread cut into 1-inch slices
•1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
•4 whole eggs
•1/2 cup sugar
•3 cups heavy cream
•1 Tablespoon vanilla
•1 Tablespoon almond extract
•1/4 Teaspoon anise extract
•1 cup dried Coconut
•1/2 cup sliced candied almonds (no salted almonds)
Preheat oven to 350.
1. Brush both sides of bread with melted butter with pastry brush
2. Arrange bread in a 9" x 12" or larger, baking pan.
3. Next, beat the eggs, then add the remaining ingredients (except for the coconut and sliced almonds) and mix.
4. Pour this mixture over the bread, then sprinkle with the coconut and almonds.
5. Now place this pan with the bread/mixture into a second larger pan and pour hot water into that larger pan to come about halfway up the sides of the pan. This will ensure even making. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned and puffy. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.